Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Reflexology and how we connect

As I looked at a reflexlogy chart with the body in the anatomical position, placed next to a vertebral column, placed next to a foot (lateral view, with the toes superior and heel inferior), I suddenly got it!! I mean, all along I pretty much understood the concept between the reflexology points/acupuncture and the various organs, but i looked at this chart and I just got it! I got it! I cannot put it any other way. Appreciating the concept and actually getting it on a deeper level are not one and the same. I suppose the closest analogy that comes to mind is sympathy versus empathy! I cannot tell you how often I have looked at the chart, yet today was the first time I actually got it. By the time, I'm done with this the phrase "I got it" will be the only thing ringing in my ears!!
If our nerves are like electrical wires that transfer energy, then if you stimulate them, you have an effect on the energy they transmit too.
I recently skimmed through an article that said that now that scientists had found a gene that coded for certain behaviour types, we could finally dismiss the idea of the subconscious or unconscious being responsible for certain phenomena we see vis a vis human behaviour. But, it is rather ironic, I think that that is what was concluded rather than the flip side which would be that for everything that exists in the spirit (or at a higher vibrational energy) there is the corresponding part to it on the physical level... Whether we like it or not, there exists a certain harmony between the seen and unseen. Just because we haven't gotten our minds around it, does not necessarily disprove it. You know how the concentration of molecules immediately interfacing a liquid and the atmosphere is supposed to be equal to the concentration of molecules in the liquid? Well, perhaps this phenomenon is analogous to life and death. And perhaps even though we believe as humans we are special and have souls and as a result the rules of life and death apply to us differently, we are like all the molecules. Perhaps on an unconscious level we know that we form a part of the energy/molecular flux that keeps the 'universe' alive. I use universe in quotes because I mean it not simply as what we perhaps have put a boundary on, but in terms of all that is/was/will be.

So back to reflexology and acupuncture. We start off as two cells joining, then we become one. This one cell divides into many, then each of these starts to differentiate into three layered plate which in turn differentiates into various cell/tissues/organs in order to serve different purposes to the organism. Now, if the blue print for the entire organ is based on the one cell, then there is a link between every cell in the organism no matter how complex and differentiated it has become. There is a memory. There is a 'psyche' that holds them together and I don't mean the obvious vessels and tendons and ligaments in isolation, although it could be argued that these 'sinews' could well represent the physical manifestation of the unseen parts of the organism in question. It means that in healing one organ, we can heal what we may perceive to be an unrelated organ. As I type this now, I am starting to get the concept behind chinese medicine and reason why the organs systems are so differently grouped to what we know in Western Medicine.

I am trying to articulate the logic behind what I once perceived as being quite abstract and scientifically inexplicable. Before this, I simply accepted that certain points on the body could indicate the state of health and result in healing of other organs, but somehow it has ceased to be an abstract concept to me. I don't know if you get what I mean. We are many, we are one...

No comments: